How to convert iTunes M4P to M4A
This is a simple guide that shows you how to convert M4P to M4A and remove DRM from M4P files.
M4P file format is developed by Apple inc for music files that sold from iTunes store. All of M4P music files are usually protected with DRM (digital rights management), which means that it is not easy to transfer or copy to other pcs or portable players.
iTunes Store offers AAC music files which includes DRM protected M4P and M4B, and DRM-Free M4A. When we convert DRM protected M4P files to unprotected M4A format or convert DRM protected M4B audio books to M4A format, that means we have remove DRM from M4P and M4B. It will be easily converted to other file format like mp3, wma for playing on any music player.
There are 2 ways to convert M4P files, the first one is converting M4P via iTunes for free, and the other one is converting M4P with DRM Converter software (The easiest one).
Converting M4P via iTunes for free
Although M4P files can't be converted by applying regular ways, they could be get rid of DRM protection and converted to other file formats via iTunes and it's free.
1. Start iTunes on your computer and then click "Edit" in the menu bar. Choose "Preferences" from the drop-down menu that shows up.
2. Below the "General" tab choose "Import Settings" and choose "Apple Lossless Encoder" as the import method. Simply click "OK" to save and shut down the Preferences menu.
3. Make a new playlist in iTunes (shortcut: "Ctrl+N") and drag the wanted M4P files into the playlist. In case the playlist is more than 79 minutes long you have to make extra playlists, because you're going to be burning this particular playlist to an 80 minute CD.
4. Put an empty CD-R inside your CD drive and then click the playlist in case it is not currently highlighted. A "Burn Disc" button will show up in the bottom right corner of iTunes. Just click that button to burn the M4P files to disc. As soon as iTunes is completed burning the files, the CD definitely will eject from your CD Rom.
5. Now, Insert the CD back in your laptop or computer. ITunes will recognize the CD and ask if you would like import the CD. Press "Yes." The imported files should be M4A clear of the original DRM limitations.
Converting M4P with DRM Converter (The easiest way)
The DRM converter is for both windows and MAC users, which makes you easily convert M4P to M4A, M4B to M4A on Windows or MAC. Additionally, it can convert DRM protected video and music that you bought form online media services.
Step 1: Import iTunes music files
Click on "Add..." button to import M4P files from your computer or laptop, or simply drag and drop files to the program.
Step 2: Output settings
Then click the "Audio files to" drop down list, choose M4A or MP3 format (*.mp3) as output file format.
Step 3: Start converting M4P files
Now, press the "Start" button to begin converting M4P to M4A . When the conversion is done, click on the "Find Target" button the output folder will open and all converted music you'll find here. Enjoy playing those DRM free music with any MP3 player.